No date? No Problem. Single Awareness Day (sometimes referred to as S.A.D.) is the cheeky antithesis to Valentine’s Day. Some use this day to acknowledge their love for family and friends, while others view it as a day to celebrate the freedom that comes with singledom. Either way, S.A.D. is a great excuse to treat yourself to all of the things that make you happy. I’ve conglomerated a list of suggestions for those of us weirdos (like myself) who may or may not have googled some variation of “ways to treat yoself” at some point in the past. Enjoy!
2. Pick out a goodie from one of my favorite etsy shops, Fabulously Feminist, which is full of beautiful designs that encourage self-love and share information about eco and social justice.
3. Celebrate singledom and female friendship by picking a movie off this carefully curated list by Elle magazine.
4. Two words: Philz. Coffee.
5. If you’re like me, then the endorphin rush from a workout is the perfect way to start or end your day (and cheaper than therapy). If you’re looking for a challenge, I’d recommend taking a spin class. Try Ride Oakland, a studio that lacks the pretentiousness of its popular counterpart, SoulCycle.
6. Order Pho takeout, and devour it without worrying about eating politely.
8. Celebrate your female friendships in the form of Galentine’s Day. See: Parks and Recreation.
9. Buy a beautiful planner from Rifle Paper Company and plan out your incredible future (you successful lady, you).
10. Go check out some live music at one of San Francisco’s stunning music venues.
11. If all your friends are in relationship bliss (warning: easily an instagram facade), then treat yourself to a day at the KitTea Cafe and achieve zen by petting precious cats (some of which are up for adoption)!
12. Get a facial and try not to fall asleep. The best facial I’ve ever gotten was from here.
14. Travel to Hawaii and stay at a hostile for cheap. I had an incredible time staying at the North Shore Hostel on Maui, where I took a life-changing tour of the Road to Hana.
15. Celebrate Single Awareness Day by giving your nails a fresh coat of (formaldehyde free) nail polish.
16. Make yourself a blood orange elderflower gin cocktail.
17. Buy yourself a huge bouquet of flowers (since you don’t need anyone else to prove how great you are).
18. Go on an leisurely walk and listen to your favorite songs.
19. Get dolled up and take yourself out for a drink.
20. Get a fresh haircut. (This one is only good if haircuts don’t trigger huge emotional breakdowns that involve running home and attempting to “fix it”).
21. Sink your pearly whites into an ice cream sandwich from CREAM.
22. I hesitate to include this last idea, because my desire for this article was to express the many ways to celebrate singledom. And let me emphasize that you absolutely DO NOT need anyone to be whole and fulfilled. However, you could always go on a date. It could be fun, or at the very least, it could make for a great story to laugh about later with friends.
Happy Single Awareness Day 2018!